birding-aus

birding-aus Buff-breasted Paradise-Kingfisher at Bowen, Qld.

Subject: birding-aus Buff-breasted Paradise-Kingfisher at Bowen, Qld.
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 22:36:06 PST
Gooday all,
My wife, Laura was quite excited when I returned home from work this morning. Only minutes before she had been speaking to Anne Donnan from Queens Beach who had reported an injured bird in the next door neighbours yard. She believed it was a Buff-breasted Paradise- Kingfisher but needed confirmation. We all set off for Annes place and ended up in Valda Wakes yard looking at an adult female BbPK perched in a mango tree not 5m from where we stood. Earlier, Valda had heard a "thud" and on investigation found this glorious bird of a type that she had never seen before. Luckily the bird was not badly injured and took to the wing flying about 10m and perching in the mango tree. Checking the bird through my glasses, I could not observe any real injuries to the bird. I suggested that it would be best to leave the bird and let it recuperate by itself and hopefully it will be fit enough to continue. This is the second report of this species in the Bowen area the other was in March of this year. An injured bird was located at Dalrymple Point but eventually died. Last night Bowen experienced some rain and stormy weather from what I can gather as I was at Newlands, this may have caused the BbPK to visit Bowen for a short stopover. Tess Brickhill and Marj Andrews have conducted detailed reseach into the nesting of this species in the Mackay region where the habitat is totally different to that of the dry tropics of Bowen. I beleive the bird would have been travelling through in a southerly direction and sought shelter from the storm. The only possible nesting site I believe could exist in the Bowen area would be Mt. Aberdeen NP where some of the gullies would provide suitable habitat. Alas, I have only lived here for 16 years and haven't explored this area as yet. Laura just returned with the developed photos and they are nice clear shots of this most beautiful Australian kingfisher.

We have a great crop of mango's here at Bowen, the Rainbow Lorikeets are into them during the day and the Flying Foxes during the night.

Jon Wren
PO Box 868
Bowen (Climate Capital of Australia)
Queensland Australia 4805