birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Myna problem and a humane method of control reported.

To: "jon wren" <>, <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Myna problem and a humane method of control reported.
From: "Brown" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 08:57:14 +1100
jon wren recently provided us with a copy of an article discussing methods
to control Indian Mynas.

Although this method is relatively humane and no doubt effective in the
short term, one should not forget the problem of competition between natives
and exotics can also be alleviated by positive changes to surrounding
habitat.

It is one thing to get rid of the enemy but there must be consideration
given to improving appropriate habitat.  Indigenous vegetation and breeding
structures are equally, if not more important than killing hundreds of
animals that are only responding to the environment we have created.

Malcolm Brown
Rye, Victoria

quotes)