birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Birding emails only please

To: "Irene" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Birding emails only please
From: "Timothy Nye Dolby" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:50:31 +1000
Irene et al,

Email is a (social and electronic) networking
communication tool. As with all such technologies it is
almost impossible to avoid what can be loosely described as
"community spirit."

However if you would like to be more selective
in the email messages you read consider setting up a
system of "Mail filtering rules". Most email packages
contain this feature. (If you would like further
information please contact me.)

Tim

> About 3 years ago when I was signed up to birding-aus, there was less daily
> traffic of emails - but all the emails were strictly related to "serious" or
> "proper" birding subjects.
>
> I find now that there is more volume of emails, but unfortunately it
> contains a number of emails that are merely wasting the time of the reader.
> I'm sure some people will
> think "well, can't we have some fun stuff?" and "lighten up", but the number
> of
> "non-birding" emails seems to be growing.  A new subscriber to birding-aus
> recently emailed that they were a little disappointed about the site due to
> the level of "non-birding" emails on a birding site.  I think we need to be
> cognisant of this.
>
> Is there any sort of protocol that suggests people should avoid emails that
> don't relate to the core subject.  For example, is there a protocol that
> says (using Example 2 below) if you wish to "make non-birding comments" to
> specific people, address it to them specifically and not to birding-aus where
> other people's email is clogged up with those emails about anything but
> birding.
>
> Irene Denton
>

> Example 1:
> So how are you voting today? (It IS today isn't it? I'd better have a
> >shower I s'pose and get round there).
> >
> >Are we free? Or are we still tied to the old bird's apron?
> >
> >Tony.    mxxp.
> >
> >If the republic goes down it will be caused by the count. Which count?
> >The Count of Monarchisto.
> >Ugh, who told me that!!
> >

> I thought probsbly something along the lines of the "Knights Who Say Niiih!"
>
> Example 2:
> To messrs Menkhorst, Russell, and Woodford gee fella's
> looks like the Banana Benders are biting early this
> year .... hahahahaha
>
> Glad most of you have your prizes already. I posted
> one to the United States (not of U.S. of Australia as
> yet) one to colder climes in Europe ( Belgium ) and
> one to a Kiwi ? who's still crying over the rugby
> ...... due to the vagaries of the world postal systems
> I'll let you guess who got what first ??? .... have
> fun all and happy twitching and spotting

Tim Dolby
Product Manager
RMIT Publishing - incorporating Informit
RMIT University
Phone: (03) 9341 3271 FAX: (03) 9349 4583
http://www.informit.com.au
http://www.rmitpublishing.com.au

quotes)