birding-aus

birding-aus Pectoral Sandpiper at Werribee and Newsletter RFI

Subject: birding-aus Pectoral Sandpiper at Werribee and Newsletter RFI
From: "Paul McDonald" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 16:45:07 +1100
Hi All,

Sorry for the late notice, but I saw a pectoral SP at the western
treatment plant, werribee last thursday (4th) on the edge of a small
lagoon at the eastern end of Walsh Rd, near the westerbn edge of
85W lagoon. It was feeding with a group of 12-15 Sharpies
facilitating excellent comparison.

A tick for me, but they let me park the car about 10m away so
leaning out the window I had fantastic views and am confident of
the ID. The bird was feeding on the dge of the flock about 2-3m
away from the nearest STSP, chasing the sharpies away if they
came any closer. When flushed the bird flew to a different area to
the Sharpies.

If there keep an eye for the roadworks going on,and any banded
Brown Falcons (hope I am not pushing the point!) but there are
about 2/3 of the population banded now so chances of seeing a
banded bird at the plant or nearby airport are very high.

On another note, does anyone know how I get in contact with the
editors of:
Galah
Victorian Naturalist

Details of colour-banded birds can be sent to my address below (or
e-mail) or direct to the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme.

Happy birding,
Paul

Paul McDonald
Division of Botany and Zoology