birding-aus

birding-aus Grebes and grebes

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Grebes and grebes
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:58:02 +1000
Just to round off with a slightly more northern comment on the various
grebes.

Trevor Ford and I were out at Lake Coolmunda, near Inglewood, Queensland on
Saturday, where inter alia we observed more than 20 Great-crested Grebes, at
least 6 Hoary-headed Grebes, and hordes of Australasian Grebes. (And Musk
Duck).

In my home patch, the Lockyer Valley, some 160km north and east of Lake
Coolmunda, all three grebe species occur on various bodies of water;
Australasian Grebes everywhere always, from the smallest farm dam upwards;
Great-crested frequently on the larger lakes; and least commonly, and with
no pattern of occurrence or regularity that I've picked up yet,
Hoary-headed.

Earlier this year all three were present at the same time on Lake Apex at
Gatton.

Bill Jolly
"Abberton", Helidon, Qld

ph  07 46976111