birding-aus

[no subject]

From: "Chris Tzaros"<>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:06:37 +1100
G,day all,

Just a brief note of all last weeks observations from northern Victoria.  I
am studying various forest blocks and reserves along the Murray River (and
some a little bit away from the river), from Wallpolla Island near Mildura
to Kentucky State Forest near Balldale (close to Corowa) in NSW.

There was a comprehensive list compiled for the trip, as well as numerous
highlights, which are as follows:

Wallpolla Island.  Crimson Chats (50), Orange Chats (30-40), White-fronted
Chats (20) all of these in one large group feeding/perching amongst saline
shrub land.  One orange chat female had inse3ct prey in beak, I presume
waiting to feed nestlings.  White-winged Fairy-wren in area, and nesting
pair of Banded Lapwings.

Hattah-Kulkyne NP.  Crimson Chat (50-60), Budgerigars (about 500 in all),
Red-backed Kingfishers (a few pairs), Rainbowbirds, nesting Regent Parrots,
Major Mitchell Cockatoos.

Nowingi ( a patch of mallee on the road to Raak Plain and Murray-Sunset).
Here I hit a hot-spot.  A single flock of at least 300 budgerigars.  A
large flock of aroundf 250 or so Crimson Chats.  A flock comprising around
300 woodswallows, a ratio of about 60/40 Masked/White-browed.  First time
I've seen this number of Masked.  Budgies nesting in mallee hollows.
Red-backed KFishers nesting along roadside.  White-winged Trillers seen in
reasonable numbers.  But the big news from here was the sighting a Neophema
flying and calling overhead.  I have seen numerous Blue-wings, never an
Elegant, but from what I saw (and heard), I am more likely to report it as
an unconfirmed female Scarlet-chested Parrot.  Certainly, the conditions
were right.  Native grasses seeding prolifically, and let's face it, look
at all of these other wierd things turning-up from inland.  Keep an eye
open.  If anyone goes there, or wants further detail, please contact me on
the condition that I find-out out immediately if Scarlets are definately
seen!!

Wandown Wildlife Reserve.  About 10 Pied Honeyeaters, a few Black
Honeyeaters, heaps of Budgerigars and a flock of Crimson Chats.  Crimson
Chats in northern Vic are like House Sparrows in Swanston Street!!
Everywhere.  Also, four Spotted Nightjars (including one nesting).

Goschen.  No new news, but I did manage to find the Black and Pied
Honeyeaters, Budgies and Blue-wings reported by Chris Coleborn and others
in recent times.

Lower Ovens Regional Park.  Six Leaden Flycatchers along one transect of
500 m.  Cockatiels flying over.  Powerful Owl calling at night.  Red-capped
Robin, Eastern Yellow Robin.

Anyone who has an excuse to visit north-west Vic. should go right now.  Any
old friends who need visiting anywhere?

All the best.

Chris

quotes)