birding-aus

birding-aus Atlasing in Lord Jim's Town

Subject: birding-aus Atlasing in Lord Jim's Town
From: Laurence and Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 21:26:29 +1000
I decided to do a bit of atlasing this morning in my neighbourhood,
which, as my croweating friend Tony determined by looking at a refidex,
is "IN Brisbane, not really part of Qld at all but in one of those nasty
old built environments full of houses and roaring traffic ( and
Universities! Ugh), and worse still, the areas you describe have a
FREEWAY right through the middle."

I poked my nose out the back door and saw yet another egg being laid in
Lord Jim's chambers, and commenced my survey with "Australian
Bush-Turkey" Breeding.

Breakfast done, I commenced an initial leg through a few "nasty"
surburban streets which yielded a dozen species [eg figbirds,
dollarbirds, scaly-breasted lorikeets] before I got to the nearer of the
ugghie university campuses.  The little lake beside the halls of
residence had a pair of darters, a little pied cormorant, PB ducks,
moorhens [breeding] and maned ducks [breeding].  I found it interesting
to watched the way the maned ducks caught in the open with their chicks
crouched and "froze" to make themselves inconspicuous - particularly
when half the chicks followed their parent's example, while the other
two carried on trying to get a feed of grass.

I then when up the hill and across the FREEWAY, where I had a short
vision of a rapidly disappearing kite-sized raptor.  Wandering through
Toohey Forest, I saw a cicadabird, some RB firetails, EY Robins, a
leaden flycatcher, an E whipbird, and the odd rufus whistler, V sittella
and YF honeyeater etc.  Returning home over Mt Gravatt, I saw a G
butcherbird [nesting], the usual striated pardalotes and a pair of
galahs.

Why do I have to mention the galahs? asks "Rhyming John".  While one
galah supervised from a handy overlooking branch, the other was
methodically widening the entrance to a hollow in a gum tree.

So, after that lenghty lead-in, my question without notice is: do galahs
commonly open up nesting hollows?

Regards, Laurie.

quotes)