birding-aus

birding-aus Painted HEs & Grey Falcons

Subject: birding-aus Painted HEs & Grey Falcons
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:07:11 +1000 (EST)
Just a note in case anyone else is tempted to follow up Neville Schrader's
VERY tempting posting last week (well it was too tempting for me to
resist!). It turned out to be a very wet and windy couple of days!

For me at least, PHEs remain a mere pigment of the imagination. Neville's
directions were spot on, but the mistletoe had stopped flowering about 2
days earlier, so the birds had of course moved on. Some compensation was the
utter abundance of Black HEs in roadside Eremophila longifolia between
Euabalong West and Round Hill. (THis is a pendulous-leaved small tree with
red tubular flowers).

As for the Grey Falcon report - well I've just added another 1000k to the
many scores of thousands of kms I've already driven in suitable
GF habitats (including quite a few hundreds in that very area). Well, maybe
it's best to save it for my 600th...

Good birding

Ian
Ian Fraser, Canberra
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Writing Consultancy
GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
ph: 02 6249 1560  fax: 02 6247 3227
---

quotes)