birding-aus

birding-aus tick lists

Subject: birding-aus tick lists
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:00:48 +1000
I just love the debate about tick-lists, which shows the strong cultural
inheritance of Protestantism; ie we have bird-watchers from all over
Australia secretly agonising over the truth of their lists, with their own
conscience as the only reference.

If ticking had been invented in Mediaeval times it would have been so much
simpler. You would have kept a list and included on it whatever you liked,
and then just before you died you would have sent it (together with a very
large number of gold pieces) to the Pope, who would have told you that it
was all right, and you could have died happy!

John Leonard

John Leonard (Dr),
PO Box 243,
Woden, ACT 2606,