birding-aus

birding-aus Northern ticks

Subject: birding-aus Northern ticks
From: Katarina Stenman <>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 08:52:43 +0200
Hello

I find this tick discussion very interesting and would like to add some
Swedish point of wiews.

We have birders of all kinds here too, both list fanatics(the extreme joins
is the Club 300=more than 300 species seen within Sweden) and those with a
more relaxed approach to birds. If you are keen you buy a beeper that is
connected to the bird hotline and you get a message every time someone call
in and report a rare specie. Within a couple of hours there are tickers at
the hot spot and do what they have to do..........Distance is in some cases
no problem, 1500 km just for one new specie.

-A dead bird is dead and not countable.
-Identification via calls are OK.
-Post-banded released are in most cases OK too. Relocation I think falls
within the post-banded section(not common, i.e owls, white stork and
peregrines).
-Domesticated but clearly escaped species are in the doubtful zone.

What to add or not is obviously up to you, but if you go outside the
commonly accepted rules be prepared to discuss this more than once. It is
quite common to have a garden list=species seen from your garden or a
"species seen from my window at work"-list.

Keep on ticking
Katarina
-who keeps record of seen birds, mammals, frogs, snakes and swedish plants.

quotes)