birding-aus

birding-aus Assitance required

Subject: birding-aus Assitance required
From: Errol Nye <>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:03:36 +1000

Concern for the survival of Australian water birds species has grown in the last decade, as wetlands continue to be degraded on a national scale and as population continue to decline. Of particular concern is the contraction in ranges of species in New South Wales. These species suffer from a lack of information relating to threatening processes and hence there is a pressing need for effective management through increased understanding of the relationship of waterbird populations to fluctuating resources, mobility, patterns of land clearing and introduced pests.

Starting in September 1999 I started a PhD project look at factors influencing the declines of four wetland species, those being the Wandering Whistling Ducks (Dendrocygna arcuata), Cotton Pygmy Geese (Nettapus coromandelianus), Comb-crested Jacana (Irediparra gallinacea) and the Magpie Goose (Anseranas semipalmata). To facilitate this project I am asking for assistance of local bird watches to provide me with an idea of the exact locations of these bird species within Northern New South Wales, so that I can determine study sites to investigate the biology of these species, with reference to movement capabilities, breeding success and food requirements.

If you observe any of the species before mentioned or think that you might whilst enjoying a weekend of bird watching, within Northern New South Wales or Queensland could you please contact me  by email at . and include some detailed info on locations and behaviour as I am trying to start at database of locations and network of people in these locations. Please tell yours friends as well.

Yours truly,
Errol Nye.

Errol Nye
(PhD Student): Distributional Ecology and
Conservation of Tropical Wetland Birds

School of Biological Sciences A08,
University of Sydney, NSW, 2006

Ph:(02) 9351 5118