birding-aus

birding-aus Re: to tick, or not to tick

Subject: birding-aus Re: to tick, or not to tick
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:59:14 +1000
This  appears to be posing a bit of a ethical problem for would be, or
apprentice, twitchers.  I guess the answer lies in that little gem of
wisdom that appeared on birding-aus earlier this morning during Peter
Milburn's posting about albatrosses:  "Shall we tick them?  Don't bother
with the listing numbers game and you don't have to worry about ticking
anything!!"

There are times, however, when rules are necessary, the Twitchathon being a
case in point.  Even though this is a fun fundraising event, some control
must be maintained.  The rules clearly state that dead birds are NOT
permissible.  Mallards and Magpie Geese are also illegal in Victoria as it
cannot be determined whether wild populations are viable.  In this case the
rules are there for an obvious reason.

I think Milburn should have the last say on this:  "Shall we tick them?
Don't bother with the listing numbers game and you don't have to worry
about ticking anything!! Just go out there and enjoy things!!!!!"

David Geering

quotes)