birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Amsterdam/Antipodean Albatross

Subject: birding-aus Re: Amsterdam/Antipodean Albatross
From: "P.J. Milburn" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:33:19 +1000
Dear Aus-birders

Andrew and Tony raise the question whether anyone has considered the
relationship between D. amsterdamensis and D. antipodensis.

The answer of course is YES!

Nunn et al. (Auk, 1996, 113, pp784-801) refer to previous literature and
state that their cladistic analysis of mitochondrial cyctochrome b DNA
sequence separates D. amsterdamensis from D. exulans.  Using the same
methodology, Robertson and Nunn (in Albertross Biology and Conservation,
Surrey Beatty & Sons, 1998) state that D. amsterdamensis is in fact more
closely realted to D. exulans than to either of D. gibsoni or D.
antipodensis.

This probably will not be the end of the issue nor does it tell us how to
separate individuals in the hand let alone in the field since each species
seems to be polymorphic, exhibits maturation of plumage character and
sexual dimorphism!

Andrew makes the excellent point

>My point is that, if further research
>reveals these birds not to be from Amsterdam Island,
>but perhaps a little-known version of Antipodean
>Albatross, then the field identification criteria for
>Amsterdam Albatross is, um, bollocks actually.

The Southern Ocean Seabird Study Group participates in and encourages
global research which addresses this issue (among many others).  SOSSA has
an extensive database of various Diomedea species gathered from its
research off Wollongong except, of course, from the little known D.
amsterdamensis and D. dabeneena.  With respect to the current issue,
information from French and New Zealand Albatross biologists is required.
With the information currently to hand, it seems that there have been a few
D. amsterdamensis in NSW waters in recent weeks, HOWEVER the verdict must
await further evidence.........

Andrew makes the entrely reasonable statement

>It does seem extraordinary that three of these birds
>have turned up off Sydney/Wollongong in the space of a
>a month with no previous accepted records. (Don't
>forget there's only around 60-70 of the birds on the
>planet.)

Extrordinary is a very good description but is has been an extraordinary
season in NSW waters...... to say the least!  Should we assume that the 60
to 70 individuals distribute themselves evenly throughout the entire
Southern Ocean or congregate in (necessarily) small groups in areas where
the ambient conditions are optimal?

Shall we tick them?  Don't bother with the listing numbers game and you
don't have to worry about ticking anything!!  Just go out there and enjoy
things!!!!!

cheers
Milburn

Dr.Peter Milburn
Biomolecular Resource Facility
The Australian National University
GPO Box 334 Canberra ACT 0200  AUSTRALIA
Phone No.  <61> <2> 6249 4326
Fax No.    <61> <2> 6249 4326
E-mail Address

quotes)