birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Birding-aus Butcherbird predation

To: Terrance Pacey <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Birding-aus Butcherbird predation
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:22:40 +1000
Terrance Pacey wrote:
>In early 1991, I observed a pair of Red-rumped Parrots fly into a
> hollow in a dead tree about 50 metres away.  One parrot left almost
> immediately. A Pied Butcher suddenly appeared and flew straight into the
> hollow. After a while it appeared with something in its beak, sat on the
> branch for a while and then flew off.  I watched to see if the parrot came
> out but after half an hour or so, gave up.  I walked to the base of the tree
> and found a large number of feathers from a fully grown Red-rumped.
>
> I can not say with 100% certainty that the Butcherbird had taken the
> parrot but I have always been convinced that that is what happened.  A very
> large prey for a Butcherbird.  Maybe he was very hungry.

> Terry Pacey
> Toowoomba Qld

Not from personal observation - I recall reading about Grey Butcherbirds
successfully killing a Magpie-lark and a Spotted Dove - wish I could
remember where- possibly in a VORG Report. Both victims were killed
while feeding on the ground by a beak-first dive from a low branch, in
cold winter weather.
I have seen a Grey Butcherbird capture and swallow a House Mouse, and I
have also seen one with a Whiteplumed Honeyeater in its bill.
Anthea Fleming in Melbourne

quotes)