birding-aus

birding-aus NEW BIRD FOR SYDNEY???

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus NEW BIRD FOR SYDNEY???
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 19:44:43 +1000

This afternoon (Sunday 17th October), myself and Stuart White made a productive visit to the Hawkesbury Area. The afternoons highlights were at :

McGRATHS HILL STW - 2 Wandering Whistling Ducks (as far as I know there has never been a record of these ducks for Sydney before. We do however get Plumed Whistling Ducks regularly), Australasian Shovelers (6), Hardheads (10), Pink-eared Ducks (2), Baillons Crake (1), Australian Hobby (1) and Swamp Harrier (1)

PITT TOWN LAGOON NR - Atleast another 8 more Wandering Whistling Ducks, more Hardheads and Australasian Shovelers, White-bellied Sea-eagle, 2-3 Lathams Snipe, Pacific Herons (2)

GLENORIE - CATTAI AREA - At Mitchell Park we bumped into Trevor Quested and members of the NSWFOC as they were heading out and as we were heading in. Trevor mentioned that there was some good birds about and he was right. We saw 3 male Satin Flycatchers (2 at Mitchell Park and one at Glenorie), 2 adult Powerful Owls, good views of Painted Button-quail, Chestnut-rumped Heathwren and heard Cicadabird. We made a brief visit to Cattai NP and saw 2 mighty Wedge-tailed Eagles, a few Pallid Cuckoos, heard another Cicadabird, loads of Scarlet Honeyeaters (one of the most abundant birds in the Hawkesbury at the moment and some males were singing conspicuously from the tops of dead trees) and saw Rainbow Bee-eaters hawking for butterflies.

Edwin