birding-aus

birding-aus Land clearance/ Qld

Subject: birding-aus Land clearance/ Qld
From: Bette Mitchell <>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:58:47 +1000
We have just returned from a 6 week tour of North Queensland.
Our journey home took us through Charters Towers and south to Emerald.
I was sickened and appalled by the rate of clearing that is taking place
in that area.
I often read of accounts of  the rate of clearing that is happening in
Australia,eg.2 football ovals cleared every 2 minutes and I think surely
not, not in Australia.
It's happening, I saw it with my own eyes. Thousands of acres just
wantonly flattened.
It made me not only sick but ashamed, it is a national disgrace and we
should hang our heads in shame.
I arrived home resolved to write to Mr. Beattie and so Barry Traill's
posting was very timely.
I have written and I urge everyone else to write.

On a lighter note the highlight of the trip was a Grass Owl at
Eubanangee Swamp and my thanks go to Max O'Sullivan and the Cairns
B.O.C.A group.
The Little Kingfisher was pretty good too! I've waited a long time!
Lake Bindegolly, west of Cunnamulla is a must for anyone travelling in
that area.
I was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of water birds and bush birds.
This was what birding pre- European settlement must have been like
before we stuffed the environment up and are continuing to do so.
We called in to Currawinya National Park, north of Hungerford, on the
N.S.W./Qld border to check out where my donation to the Bilby Fund for
the predator free fence was going.
A wonderful birding spot and I thought of Richard upon seeing the
Spotted Bowerbird!.
The sight of  150 plus Freckled Duck was pretty impressive.
And now all I have to do is fill out all those atlas forms!!!.
                                                        Bett Mitchell

quotes)