birding-aus

birding-aus Eyre Peninsula et al

Subject: birding-aus Eyre Peninsula et al
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:49:45 +1100

Folks,

My family's trip to South Australia, for which several birding-aus contacts
provided very helpful information, was a great success.  I can strongly
recommend the west coast of the Peninsula and, especially, the southern part of
the Peninsula, including the two National Parks (Coffin Bay and Lincoln).  I am
still collating locality lists, as we stayed in a dozen or so different places
and visited quite a few reserves and other localities with plenty of interesting
birds (+ mammals, snakes and lizards), and I'll make direct contact with all our
informants when I've got all that information sorted.  We identified a total of
210 bird species for the 26 day trip, and have submitted over 80 Atlas sheets
and nearly 30 BOP watch sheets.

Brief selected highlights - Black-eared Miners and several other true mallee
species at Gluepot; five new life list species (Thick-billed Grass-wren,
Redthroat, Rufous Calamanthus, Inland Dotterel with young, Ground Cuckoo-shrike
nesting) in a half-day tour on Pandurra Station, west of Port Lincoln, with
expert local guide Peter Langdon; turquoise form of Splendid Fairy-wren at Lake
Gilles Conservation Park; Western Yellow Robin at Mt Wudinna; Grey Plovers in
breeding plumage at Streaky Bay; Osprey fishing and nesting near Elliston; Rock
Parrots at Point Avoid; Blue-breasted Fairy-wrens at Lincoln and Cowell; Western
Whipbirds calling from tantalisingly close at Lincoln; Bush Stone-Curlews,
Southern Boobooks, Owlet Nightjar and Spotted Nightjar calling from around our
camp at Lincoln; fantastic views of White-backed Swallows, Chirruping Wedgebill,
Redthroat and White-winged Fairy-wrens at Port Augusta's Arid Lands Botanic
Gardens; and a fifty-fifty mixed flock of Masked and White-browed Wood-swallows
at the Little Desert, totalling in the thousands of birds.  Once again, most
sincere thanks to all who provided advance information.  Please contact me if
you would like detailed information on any localities or sightings.

On a separate note, anyone who is looking for a Twitchathon team to support -
why look further than the Norwegian Blues, current Victorian Champagne
champions?  We will be flat out to defend our title, even though we can only be
in action on the Sunday (hence entering the Champagne division of the race).
Please let me know if you would like to sponsor us - alternatively (and better
still), enter a team of your own, compete with us and raise lots of money
yourselves!

Regards,

     Jack Krohn

quotes)