birding-aus

birding-aus Telling authors of field guides

To: "Atriplex Services" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Telling authors of field guides
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:22:05 +1000
I will respond to the message copied below.
You tell them by telling them. That is how my input on the Regent
Honeyeater's vocal mimicry of wattlebirds etc. got in, plus I think, a few
other ideas. Ken was working on the text of the next edition (a few years
ago) at the BOCA office and I was using the library. I was there at the
right time I guess. We talked about it and it went straight into the text
(abbreviated of course). Simple. I suppose it helps to have some consistent
evidence. As for Raven's eye colour, I would have thought it correct (it is
consistent with what I've seen) that young Ravens have brown eyes. For
example over the last two years, Australian Ravens have raised three broods
in my (rather large eucalypt in my rather small) Canberra backyard (plus
many others encountered over the years). Of course some may be different.
There is such a thing as genetic variation you know, we can't expect every
individual to match the typical. As for updates of the S & D book, we can't
complain, it has been through so many revisions since 1984, it is almost
like Microsoft products. Compare that to Cayley's "WBIT?", that decades
later, is still much the same as the original.