birding-aus

birding-aus A mixed bag of questions

Subject: birding-aus A mixed bag of questions
From: Dave Sargeant <>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 22:58:35 +0400
Hi,

We are in the last part of planning a three week trip around Tasmania,
NSW and Victoria from 4-27 November, concentrating on the specialities
of areas. Having scanned through all of the available better litterature
I have a list of varied questions and requests for more details. If
anyone could help with answers to any of the following I?d be very
grateful.

1. Specific details on the current accessibility and possibility to see
Masked Owl on Tasmania. Is Pittwater Road still the site?
2. Easiest place for finding Swift Parrot in/around Hobart/Bruny.
3. Ditto for 40-spot. I hear the Peter Murrel Reserve is currently the
best site.
4. Any suggestions for best birder?s accommodation at Cradle Mountain
(reasonable price for basic clean accommodation).
5. Driving time from Cradle Mountain to Hobart.
6.Accommodation close to Dharug National Park.
7. Leeton Swamp and Griffith Sewage Farm.  Are both these places
currently worth visiting? Water levels? Here we are interested in
Frackled Duc, Red-kneed Dotterel, Spotless Crake, Red-necked Avocet. Do
either of these sites have access difficulties currently?
8. Does anyone have any good sites for Purple-gaped Honeyeater at/near
Hattah/Wyperfield area?
9 Does anyone have a good site for Spotted Nightjar in Hattah/Wyperfield
area?
10. Painted Honeyeater in this area?
11. We?ll be driving the Great Ocean Road. Are there currently any good
area for looking for Cape Barren Goose, or is it pot-luck?

Dave Sargeant
Muscat
Oman

quotes)