birding-aus

Re: birding-aus destination of birders in the afterlife

To: Harvey Perkins <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus destination of birders in the afterlife
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 16:10:41 +1000
At 15:50 7/10/1999 +1000, you wrote:
>John Leonard wrote:
>
>>... if they've been bad they go to a small oceanic island somewhere in the
>>>doldrums, with no breeding birds at all, and have to study the two
>>species of >beetle found there.
>
>...excuse me, but beetles, particularly ones stuck on isolated islands,
>often show remarkable and interesting adaptations, significantly gigantism
>and/or winglessness/flightlessness...

and in an ecological sense,

would they compete with one another?
how would they partition resources?
how would their populations fluctuate?
would any of the (vagrant) birds feed on them?

I think that you would have an eternity of interesting work available there!

Cheers

Pete
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science & An. Prod.  Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)

quotes)