birding-aus

birding-aus Pelagic leadership

Subject: birding-aus Pelagic leadership
From: palliser <>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 22:54:05 +1000
I have to admit that I have enjoyed everyones comments about leadership.  I
think enough has been said already, but being in the position I have found
myself in recent years there are a few points that might be worth a mention.

Many do not realise but technically there are no leaders.  Everyone on the
Wollongong pelagic is a paying passenger (including myself).  I just happen
to be the person who takes the bookings - primarily because no one else
wants to do it and as I have ready access to the internet and a web page
set up it would appear logical that I should volunteer, little did I
realise that today I would be spending 1/2 - 1 hour everyday taking
bookings and  answering questions on the net relating to birders
itineraries.  When I am not there Pete or one of the regulars do kindly
volunteer to take over the duties of collecting funds and passing them on
to Carl.  And my thanks go to all of them.  But I think it a bit on the
nose to tell them off for being late, of far more concern is the  number of
people that fail to turn up meaning that others miss out.  Having said that
99% of birders are great people and I love helping them out and yes I am
prepared to take a more active role as a leader.

Several of those regularly booking on the Wollongong trips happen to be
members of SOSSA (Southern Ocean Seabird Study Association) and as such
have A class licences to band birds, much to the delight of most on board
who enjoy the close observations of albatross in the hand and support and
understand the great work that these guys do. SOSSA and all of the regulars
on board do make every effort to call out the birds as they turn up and I
can assure you answer many questions.   But to offer a running commentary
is just impossible.  Its noisy, tiring and all of ones energy is taken up
trying to stay awake, fight seasickness and find birds. Some trips I have a
terrible time trying to stay awake. (severe sleepiness for some including
myself I suspect is the first sign of seasickness).

Having said that there certainly is room for improvement now that we have
so many visitors.  For some reason interest has grown enormously over the
last few years and it is time for some improvement.  Personally I think it
is a good idea to offer a little more in the way of an introduction and
even a list of species to look out for.  As Chris pointed out this is easy
to obtain off the web page.  but those who do not have access are certainly
dissadvantaged.  But please for everyone that goes on a pelagic feel free
to ask questions.  All of the regulars are great people and they do and
will continue to make every effort to provide you with an answer.  And also
remember to shout the magic words if you see anything that might be odd
"STOP THE BOAT".  My heart misses a beat every time.

Anyway I vote to continue on with more boat trips, afterall it is important
to remember that not until after you have seen all the seabirds will have
time to go bush-birding.

Regards
Tony Palliser