birding-aus

birding-aus Pelagic trips

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Pelagic trips
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:53:00 +1000
I would like to thank those who responded to my note about the Pelagic
trips, recently. All made good points. It is clear though that there are
different perceptions out there as to the purpose of these pelagic trips and
factors contributing to their success. It hadn't occurred to me that their
primary focus was other than to go out there and experience seabird watching
and receive instruction on it from those who know it well. As well as
achieve useful information gathering on the birds present. People need to
start somewhere, so I feel it was quite appropriate to suggest to my
neighbours that this would be a good trip, even if they were rather
overwhelmed with it all. I'm sure they had vastly better value for money
than they would have had from a commercial venture. That is the standpoint
they were likely approaching it from and I would do the same. I deny the
suggestion that I was critical. There was no criticism stated or implied,
just a passed on suggestion. My comments were based on a lot of time spent
in leading and organising all sorts of things, not just bird related, and
some knowledge of what is involved.

Anyway, I hope to overcome the fear of a day in the boat and save up the
funds to go out on one these things again one day and hopefully encounter
Cape Petrels, with anything else a bonus.

quotes)