birding-aus

birding-aus Banded whiteface

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Banded whiteface
From: "Eddie Ash" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:12:31 +1000
I have recently returned from three days birding on a station 40 kms north of Wanaaring on the way to Hungerford.

We had a great time out there, but were disappointed at the lack of birds due to an overabundance of yellow-throated miners over the entire 65,000acres.   They stood guard on the waterholes.   At one time we saw a miner chasing a buff-rumped thornbill.   It was coming close to knocking it out of the sky when a second thornbill flew over and diverted the miner's attention, allowing its mate to escape.   The confused miner then let them both go.

There were hardly any honeyeaters, despite abundant flowering bushes.   We only saw spiny-cheeked, singing, striped and white-fronted and very few of those.

Buff-rumped thornbills, apostle birds and southern whitefaces were abundant, and we did see a lovely flock of crimson chats.   However the highlight for me was a lone banded whiteface, a new bird for me.  It was with a flock of southern whitefaces, but we have no doubt that it was a banded one.   Both my friend and I had independant, clear views of it.   Are there other NSW reports for this bird?

Cheers Annabel