birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Pied Butcherbird Song

To: <>, "Keith Martin" <>, <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Pied Butcherbird Song
From: "G Glass" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:34:52 +1000
Hi Keith, Nigel and Birding-ausers

Yes, the Pied Butcherbird is a wonderful songster. This spring at Gowrie
Junction (just west of Toowoomba Qld) what I presume is the dominant male
sings most mornings from 5.10 am or so for 30-45 minutes. This year's call
has about five or six different phrases, with variations. We record each
morning's call on tape, and are up to our 5th tape this year.

I have tapes of the spring calls here most years since 1988. Sometimes the
calls are from too far away from our farmhouse to be recorded. Each year
the song is different, and the one bird (presumably) sings each morning
from mid August to mid October.

This year it seems a youngster is trying to muscle in on the action. 'He'
repeats the phrases after the dominant songster, but often can't quite
finish the phrases or reach quite the right high note.

We feel very privileged.

Gloria Glass