birding-aus

birding-aus Birding in Royal

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: birding-aus Birding in Royal
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:17:59 +1000
Hi all
I have just returned from a day of taking people around two sites at Royal
National Park. It was a cool, blustery day but sunny. Site one was the
western side of the Hacking river upstream from Audley and the clear
highlight was a flock of 15-20 Topknot pigeons being disturbed in no
uncertain way by a dive-bombing Grey Goshawk. Mind you, some of those along
were more than partial to the two Satin Bowerbird platforms and bowers.
North of Audley we all loved the flock of Varied Sittellas and several
people were amazed by the stunning views of a pair of Spotted Pardalotes as
they searched a bank for a potential home.
Down at Bonnie Vale we saw a Caspian Tern .... now that was a pleasant
surprise. I have seen Crested Terns here so often ... but a Caspian Tern was
special. No waders yet. There are often Curlew and godwit here ... but not
yet. We had to be happy with the Tern.
All up a species list for the day of 61. OK for the limited number of places
we visited.
Brian Everingham

quotes)