birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Crimson Rosellas

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Crimson Rosellas
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 22:08:53 +0930
Dear Michael Dolan and Tony Russell and other SA Birders,

This seems to be an interesting sighting and I have another to stir into the
pot.

Two weeks ago a friend reported to me that she saw two Crimson Rosellas fly
across the road in front of the car at Monarto (exactly where in Monarto I
can't remember). Now this friend is not an avid birder but her observation
skills are very good and she knows enough about the birds of the Murray
Bridge area to know that her sighting was significant. If they were in fact
Crimsons, this will be worth checking out, so I will find out an exact
location. She was quite adamant that she did indeed see Crimsons.

As for Adelaide Rosellas, a few years ago we had a few come into the
Narrinyeri Hills area just to the west of Murray Bridge and around our place
which is just down the road about 1km. They stayed around for some months
before leaving.

This year I have recorded Adelaide Rosellas in this area as follows:
    7/4/99 Mannum Falls
    13/4/99 Monarto Oval Complex (just west of the Zoo)
    7/7/99  Monarto Cons. Park
    29/8/99 Narrinyeri Hills, Murray Bridge (doubtful sighting - poor light
conditions)

Question: are they on the move again??

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge