birding-aus

birding-aus Other new birds for Jun

Subject: birding-aus Other new birds for Jun
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:22:13 +1000
As mentioned in a previous posting I had Jun Matsui, a visiting Japanese
birdwatcher, with me last week.  In addition to the 31 new species he saw
in the Capertee Valley he saw others outside the valley.  These were either
in a trip we took to the area east of Gulgong (central NSW) or on the trip
back to Melbourne.  We opted to take the "scenic" route via West Wyalong
back as this would increase the opportunities for new birds for Jun.

The trip to the Gulgong area on 1 September was primarily to investigate
reports of Regent Honeyeaters in this area.  The woodland we looked at,
with Dunedoo resident Lynne Heywood, was very, very nice.  Mature Mugga
Ironbark grading into Scribbly Gum, a very interesting combination.  Yes,
we found the Regents (at least six) although they were very secretive.
This was because they were breeding - they have the annoying habit of going
very quiet once they establish themselves and are on eggs.  List for this
site follows.

>From there we moved on to a spot near Ulan, lots of Mugga Ironbark
throughout this area.  Another pair of Regents at this spot, this time with
week old nestlings.

Although it was getting late I wanted to check out White Box Camp in
Goulburn River National Park.  Getting there about 4-30PM meant that I only
had about half an hour.  Nevertheless we located one Regent but didn't have
time to explore further.  It is extremely likely that they are breeding in
that area.  Anyone who can explore further please contact me for details.
A rather exciting new bird for Jun here was Emu.

The two days 2-3 September were spent travelling back to Melbourne with an
overnight stop at West Wyalong.  The first new bird for Jun (Apostlebird)
was east of West Wyalong.  These birds were then very common until about
Naranderra.  This was followed by Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, again fairly
common from there on.  Charcoal Tank Nature Reserve in the late afternoon
was, as usual, very good.  New birds for Jun were Mulga Parrot, Australian
Ringneck, Little Raven and White-browed Woodswallow.  I was disappointed
that we missed Shy Hylacola and, surprisingly, Yellow-plumed Honeyeater.
Heading north, the long route back to town, we saw Blue Bonnet, also new
for Jun, but only relatively poor views looking into the setting sun.

The next morning we headed back to Charcoal Tank and obtained good views of
the Blue Bonnets.  Nothing new at Charcoal Tank but we were haunted by the
very elusive Crested Bellbird (which would have been new for Jun).

Onward towards Narranderra the new birds Jun saw were Brown Songlark and
then Chestnut-rumped Thornbill near Ardlethan.  This was followed by Black
Kite and a male Superb Parrot which flew alongside the car (doing 80km/h)
for three kilometres before landing.  We were fortunate to have great views
of ten Cocktiel near Finley after not being able to find a previous pair
that were flying in the opposite direction to that we were driving.

Birds seen in the woodland near Gulgong from about 8-30AM to 2-30PM were:

Wedge-tailed Eagle                   Aquila audax
Little Eagle      Hieraaetus morphnoides
Square-tailed Kite                   Lophoictinia isura
Painted Button-quail                 Turnix varia
Peaceful Dove     Geopelia placida
Galah             Cacatua roseicapilla
Musk Lorikeet     Glossopsitta concinna
Little Lorikeet   Glossopsitta pusilla
Eastern Rosella   Platycercus eximius
Pallid Cuckoo     Cuculus pallidus
Laughing Kookaburra                  Dacelo novaeguineae
Superb Fairy-wren Malurus cyaneus
Spotted Pardalote Pardalotus punctatus
Striated Pardalote                   Pardalotus striatus
Speckled Warbler  Chthonicola sagittata
Weebill           Smicrornis brevirostris
Western Gerygone  Gerygone fusca
Brown Thornbill   Acanthiza pusilla
Buff-rumped Thornbill                Acanthiza reguloides
Yellow-rumped Thornbill              Acanthiza chrysorrhoa
Yellow Thornbill  Acanthiza nana
Red Wattlebird    Anthochaera carunculata
Striped Honeyeater                   Plectorhyncha lanceolata
Noisy Friarbird   Philemon corniculatus
Little Friarbird  Philemon citreogularis
Regent Honeyeater Xanthomyza phrygia Breeding
Yellow-faced Honeyeater              Lichenostomus chrysops
Fuscous Honeyeater                   Lichenostomus fuscus
White-plumed Honeyeater              Lichenostomus penicillatus
Black-chinned Honeyeater             Melithreptus gularis
Brown-headed Honeyeater              Melithreptus brevirostris
White-naped Honeyeater               Melithreptus lunatus
Eastern Spinebill Acanthorhynchus tenuirostris
Jacky Winter      Microeca fascinans
Eastern Yellow Robin                 Eopsaltria australis
White-browed Babbler                 Pomatostomus superciliosus
Rufous Whistler   Pachycephala rufiventris
Grey Shrike-thrush                   Colluricincla harmonica
Restless Flycatcher                  Myiagra inquieta
Magpie-lark       Grallina cyanoleuca
Grey Fantail      Rhipidura fuliginosa
Willie Wagtail    Rhipidura leucophrys
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike            Coracina novaehollandiae
Olive-backed Oriole                  Oriolus sagittatus
Grey Butcherbird  Cracticus torquatus
Australian Raven  Corvus coronoides
White-winged Chough                  Corcorax melanorhamphos
Mistletoebird     Dicaeum hirundinaceum
Rufous Songlark   Cinclorhamphus mathewsi
Silvereye         Zosterops lateralis

David Geering

quotes)