birding-aus

birding-aus Kookaburra eyes and Poetry week

To: All <>
Subject: birding-aus Kookaburra eyes and Poetry week
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:44:48 -0700 (PDT)
Kookaburra Eyes:

Now I sure don't want to win any prize,
I just wish to tell you all,
About old Kookaburra Eyes,
They are clear and crisp,
Etched in my time,
That fine resplendent friend of mine,
He came to me ten year ago,
Diving at my clean window,
The silly so and so,
So I cradled him up and brought him in,
Checked out the window where his beak had been.

Gave him some love, a drink, and some meat,
Placed him on a towel close to my feet,
Thought about some names that just might fit,
Peter, Mike and David ? nay "Dermott" the hit,
We got along well my new friend him and me,
Went out for walks and he'd swoop up to his tree,
His keen sharp eyes always on the alert,
Panning the patchy grass, scanning the red dirt.

Seven year back is where the real love did start,
Went out to cut my grass with mower and cart,
Had him on my shoulder but only for a while,
As we went back and forth creating the mower aisle,
Half way down lane, I think?, number three,
My mate took off, I'm sure, smiling back at me,
He edged in flight to the right of center,
Into the uncut grass he did enter.

He came out waddling, with what I thought was a big black stick,
When I saw what it was I near created a brick,
He flew up high, then let it go, it only bounced twice,
On his road, wouldn't you know,
Then suddenly it dawned what he had done for me,
He'd saved my life, my little Dermie,
So what if it was his favorite dish,
That was one big snake and I'm glad he didn't prefer fish.

So now when I look up in to the summer night sky,
Don't ask me for the names of the stars so high,
Or you catch the name of my great friend,
One Dermott "The Hit" Gamblin.

JAG 1999