birding-aus

birding-aus Not every rail at Maroubra...

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Not every rail at Maroubra...
From: John Clifton-Everest <>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:45:09 +1100
Yesterday morning at dawn I went 'railing' at Maroubra, and twice saw,
at last, what were certainly Lewins Rails darting over the track.
However I have yet to have what you would call a really satisfactory
look at one.
At one stage a third Rail went over the wide track, near the high bitou
embankment towards the top.  My suspicions were aroused by its large
size, and for the two-tenths of a second when I got the glasses on it,
the barring on its flank seemed rather too bold.  These suspicions were
very much strengthened ten minutes later, when by assuming the likeness
of a bush (amazing what you can do at Magic Point!), I was rewarded with
a good, clear, 60-second view of a Buff-banded Rail slinking through the
grass.  I don't recall mention of this species in all the news there has
been about Maroubra lately.  But it serves as a warning that not every
Rail you see scuttling across the path there is necessarily a Lewins!
Also saw a fine Peregrine go over with some luckless feathered thing in
its talons.
John Clifton-Everest
--
Associate Professor John M. Clifton-Everest
Department of Germanic Studies

quotes)