birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI wetland plantings

To: Michael J Hunter <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI wetland plantings
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:22:39 +1000
Michael J Hunter wrote:

> Can anyone advise on the best rushes, reeds grasses and other plants
> most
> suitable to plant in a small[1ha.] marshy area  This includes shelter... as
> well as seedbearing spp.and plants that harbour snails and frogs .
> In addition ,how can oilslicks of the adjacent road be controlled,
>  Bales of hay have been suggested as filters -does anyone know .
>                         michael.

 Great idea, Michael- but whereabouts are you? You need locally
indigenous plants for choice. In Melbourne metropolitan area you can
obtain local indig. water and wetland plants, plus good advice, from the
plant nursery at LaTrobe University Wildlife Reserve -whose website
address can probably be found with a bit of a search. (I have no
connection with them myself). But if you're in Darwin or Brisbane, or
WA, this wont be much help!
I'd be wary about haybales - great way to introduce pasture plants and
weeds.
 Best of luck anyway.
 Anthea Fleming in Melbourne

quotes)