birding-aus

birding-aus Colombia 1999 pt 9:Guajira Peninsula & Santa Martas(longish)

Subject: birding-aus Colombia 1999 pt 9:Guajira Peninsula & Santa Martas(longish)
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:38:19 +1000
Tueday 29/6 am birded semidesert scrub on Guajira Peninsula, late Tayrona
Park and late pm boat ride on East side of Cienaga de Santa Marta and Rio
Frio. I had previously birded the area around Coro on my own, so there were
few lifers on the Guajira Peninsula.

Little Tinamou  H
Least Grebe     20
Brown Pelican   10
Olivaceous Cormorant    50+
Magnificant Frigatebird 100
Cocoi Heron     5
Great Egret 10
Striated Heron 5
Black-crowned Night-Heron 1
Wood Stork      1
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck    20
Pearl Kite      2
Snail Kite      4
Common Black-Hawk       3
Black-collared Hawk     2
Short-tailed Hawk       1
Crested Caracara        10
Yellow-headed Caracara 9
Chestnut-winged Chachalaca 2 (perched in foliage along the Rio Frio)
Crested Bobwhite H
Limpkin         5
Purple Gallinule        4
Common Gallinule        3
Wattled Jacana  20+
Black-necked Stilt      5
Black Tern      6
Large-billed Tern       3
Gull-billed tern        4
Common Tern     20+
Bare-eyed Pigeon        20+
Pale-vented Pigeon      12
Scaled Dove common
Brown-throated Parakeet 50
Green-rumped Parrotlet  20+
Greater Ani     20
Lesser Nighthawk        20
White-collared Swift    20
Red-billed Emerald      2
Buffy Hummingbird       2
Ringed Kingfisher       3
Russet-throated Puffbird        4
Chestnut Piculet 2 nicely seen.A lifer for me.
Red-crowned Woodpecker 2
Straightbilled Woodcreeper      1
Cocoa Woodcreeper H
White-whiskered Spinetail       18
Yellow-chinned Spinetail        2
Black-crested Antshrike 6
White-fringed Antwren   6
Lance-tailed Manakin            2
White-bearded Manakin   H
Northern Scrub-Flycatcher       3
Slender-billed Tyrannulet 3 (lifer)
Pearly-vented Tody-Tyrant       3
Yellow-olive Flycatcher 1
Pied Water-Tyrant       3
Brown-crested Flycatcher 2
Social Flycatcher       1
Black-capped Donacobius 1
Bicolored Wren  4
Buff-breasted Wren      2
Tropical Mockingbird    10

Wed.30/6. We drove from Santa Marta via Minca up to San lorenzo Road to the
lodge, and then walked the ridge trail up to the antennas to 2500m.  Thurs
1/7 Walked the Ridge track above the lodge to ca 2600m, and drove back down
to Santa Marta after a late lunch.  It poured with rain on the way down.
Bat Falcon 1
Band-tailed Guan Leader only
Black-fronted Wood-Quail H
Band-tailed Pigeon 50+
White-tipped Dove       2
Lined Quail-Dove H
Scarlet-fronted Parakeet 10
Santa Marta Parakeet H only both days.  A big disappointment.  Your only
chance of seeing them is if they fly or perch near the ridge trail.  You
cannot get down the steep slopes at all.  And though we heard them both
days, they were some way off and not visible.
Barred Parakeet 10
Scaly-naped Parrot 50+ both days.
Brown Violetear         10
Blossomcrown 3  Awesome!  We had displaying males.  I remember one in
particular with his crown raised, his wigs spread and his tail fanned.  One
of my top birds for the whole trip!
Tyrian Metaltail        1
Blue-crowned Motmot     1
Groove-billed Toucanet 1
Emerald Toucanet 3
Golden-olive Woodpecker 2 (race alleni)
Red-crowned Woodpecker 5
Strong-billed Woodcreeper 2 (race sanctaemartae, a possible split)
Montane Woodcreeper 2 (race sanctaemartae, a possible split)
Caribbean Hornero 2 (at the hotel)
Rusty-headed Spinetail 2 (race fuscorufa)
Streak-capped Spinetail 1
Montane Foliage-gleaner 1
Black-backed Antshrike 2 (One I'd missed around Coro)
Santa Marta Antpitta 2 (Breathtakingly cooperative!)
Roufous Antpitta 1 (Santa Marta form - spatiator)
Rusty-breasted Antpitta H
Santa Marta Tapaculo 1 (very cooperative)
Brown-rumped Tapaculo 2
Masked Tityra 1
Golden-faced Tyrannulet 1 (the endemic subspecies)
White-throated Tyrannulet 3
Cinnamon Flycatcher 17
Black Phoebe    1
Santa Marta Bush-Tyrant 3
Bicolored Wren 2 (at hotel)
Stripe-backed Wren 2
Rufous-breasted Wren    1
Rufous-and-white Wren H
Gray-breasted Wren 7 (bangsi lower, and anachoreta up high)
Yellow-legged Thrush 1
Rufous-browed Peppershrike      1
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Golden-fronted Greenlet 1
Crested Oropendola      10+
Yellow-billed Cacique   1
Yellow-crowned Redstart 3
White-lored Warbler     2
Santa Marta Warbler     4
Black Flowerpiercer     2
White-sided Flowerpiercer       4
Rust Flowerpiercer      1
Bay-headed Tanager      4
Santa Marta Mountain-Tanager    6
Crimson-backed Tanager  2
Buff-throated Saltator  3
Southern Yellow-Grosbeak        1
Santa Marta brush-Finch 18
Paramo Seedeater 1 male (oreophila)

That's it.  I ended up with 181 lifers, plus many more from likely future
splits.
Thanks to Paul Coopmans for a great trip.

John Penhallurick
Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
Canberra, Australia
Phone BH( 61 2) 6201 2346   AH (61 2) 62585428
FAX (61 2) 6258 0426
Snail Mail  Faculty of Communication
            University of Canberra,A.C.T.2601, AUSTRALIA
OR          PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA

"I'd rather be birding!"
"Vivat,crescat,floreat Ornithologia" Hartert,Vog.pal.Fauna,p.2016.
"The market where possible, the state where necessary"(?Margaret Thatcher?)
"Sunt lacrimae rerum." Virgil, Aeneid,i,462.

quotes)