birding-aus

birding-aus Re. Having a little rave.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Re. Having a little rave.
From: "S Cooney" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:40:43 +1000
Hi Tony,

OK I'll bite.

1.      Be thankful you don't live in Victoria, where, despite losing much of
the public infrastructure that made the place so "livable" we continue to
re-elect a charismatic yet uncaring premier in the form of Kennett

2.      I tried doing something to make a difference and not follow mum and dad
and joined the Democrats.  A very disappointing experience, I'll have to
keep on looking for a way to satiate my political interests.

3.      I am currently studying at uni to become a park ranger (maybe), will I
remain quiet in the face of absurd and short-sighted policy.  I hope not,
but then again, I may not get offered a job and be put in that situation.

So what is the answer?  I don't know, we need to take collective
responsibility for the way the world is run.  I said WE keep returning
Kennett and I mean that, despite the fact that I have never voted for the
man, but until I can say that I have done everything in my power to stop
his re-election I must take some of the blame like all other Victorians.

When we bemoan oil spills and Regional Forest Agreements, we need to
appreciate that we need to be part of the solution or else be labelled as
part of the problem.  SO what have I done to help.  Well, when we build our
house in Gembrook it will be as self-sufficient as we can afford and
designed to become more so in the future.  I'll continue to give my money
to causes that promote environmental protection (An investment in the
future).  And I will continue to promote  positive environmental images,
like bird-watching, building your own home or digging a veggie patch.

It won't change the world but it will help lessen my responsibility for
damaging it.

Stuart Cooney

quotes)