birding-aus

Re: birding-aus injured lorikeet

Subject: Re: birding-aus injured lorikeet
From: "Carol Probets" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:33:12 PDT

Lorne,

I've only just logged on and as it's now 11.30am, I assume you've contacted WIRES or someone else by now. However it's worth remembering that the best thing to do in any situation like this is to put the bird in a box in a quiet, safe, warmish place and leave it alone for a while. Sometimes after a collision the bird will recover within a few hours. In any case, whoever you phone may not be able to pick up the bird for a while - WIRES and similar organisations are usually run by overworked volunteers. If it's an injury which requires immediate attention and you can't contact a wildlife care group, many vets will accept the bird until a licenced wildlife carer can take it.

Good luck,
Carol