birding-aus

RE: birding-aus Little Wattlebirds in Melbourne?

To: "" <>
Subject: RE: birding-aus Little Wattlebirds in Melbourne?
From: "Mules, Michael" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:11:50 +1000

All these Little W/birds currently being talked about in Melb and other
eastern areas are supposed ( if we do have to slavishly adhere to latest
scientific dogma) to be in WA.
Aren't we only allowed the Brush types elsewhere?

Hi all,

On the subject of wattlebirds, I've just asked Les Christidis about whether these are one or two species.  In Christidis&Boles they are grouped as one species, but Les says that they really should be two separate species, and recent molecular data shows this.  So as far as names go, I suppose we follow the traditional names for each of these species, Little in the west and Brush in the east???

Cheers,  Michael Mules

Michael Mules
Science Curator
8th Floor, 108 Lonsdale Street