birding-aus

Re: birding-aus bird-Names

To: "Paul Taylor" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus bird-Names
From: "Muir Environmental" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:38:49 +0800
Hi All

Paul described very well what I only briefly discussed in my email of a few
minutes ago.  I had not seen Paul's email till after I sent mine.

I believe consistency is very important.  We birding-aussers would all
benefit from finding agreement on how we present names in our data in the
same way.  I suggest it would be worth the effort for birding-aussers to
discuss and come to an agreement on the best way to present this data.

The scientific way is ideal, but because there is some variation among
professionals in presentation of common names, a criteria could be set up
within birding-aus that could satisfy the need for consistency.

Regards

Jenn Muir
(sometimes I put my name in full - which is inconsistent!  What can I
say?!)