birding-aus

RE: birding-aus Rushworth, Cuckoos & other things

To: "'Dr Richard Nowotny'" <>
Subject: RE: birding-aus Rushworth, Cuckoos & other things
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:15:11 +1000
G'day Richard,
Yes, I remember that posting and have been well aware of this for a while.
However, my point concerned Black-eared Cuckoo not all cuckoos in general.
Black-eared Cuckoos are fairly regularly recorded in some southern areas in
Victoria but I don't recall (off the top of my head - and this may reflect a
lack of research) records of this species so early in the year. Therefore, my
hypothesis is that it is indeed an unusual mid-winter sighting for this
particular species that is otherwise rather infrequently encountered on the
perimeters of its range. I suggest that this record is indicative of the
barmy/balmy weather we've been experiencing lately!
see you soon,
Susan