birding-aus

birding-aus Early Koel; Request

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Early Koel; Request
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 06:50:56 +1000
An early Koel call - Friday, July 30 - came from Pomona, near Noosa and in
the hinterland of the Sunshine Coast, Qld. The observers were Brian Holley
and his wife. There was a further report from them yesterday that there are
two Koels calling.

This is a very early report, and may be an isolated case. I checked last
year's records. There was one from Jan Penne, who saw one on July 3 while
holidaying at Lakefield NP in FNQ, but I imagine this was an overwintering
bird. Down our way, the earliest report came from David Walton, who heard a
Koel in Beerwah, Sunshine Coast, in mid-August. Most of the first spring
sightings came as August turned into September.

Which brings me to my next request. Many people contributed last year, and
I would ask observers once again to advise me of their first
sightings/hearings of the
KOEL, CHANNEL-BILLED CUCKOO, and DOLLARBIRD.

Birding-aus doesn't need to be overloaded, so kindly reply to my private
address with DATE, LOCATION, SPECIES. I appreciate those who take the time
to pass on information.

Regards,

Jill

Jill Dening