birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Re: Jacky Winter

To: David Geering <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Re: Jacky Winter
From: Frank OConnor <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 06:56:52 +0800 (WST)
On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, David Geering wrote:
> Jacky Winters are another of those declining woodland species.  I, too,
> used to see them regularly every winter (hence the name Jacky Winter ???)
> in and around Wauchope (NSW mid-north coast) in my youth.  The numbers have
> dramatically declined in this area.
>
> The species is still common in many areas, the Capertee Valley in central
> NSW for example, but they are also declining in many areas.  It is
> certainly one of the species that struck me as being scarce in many areas
> in Victoria when I moved here 18 months ago.   I dare say that I will now
> get a flood of reports to the contrary.
>
> If something isn't done about our declining woodland birds this bird will
> find itself on the endangered species list along with Regent Honeyeater,
> Swift Parrot, Grey-crowned Babbler, Hooded Robin, Crested Bellbird,
> Speckled Warbler, Southern White-face, Diamond Firetail etc etc etc.

Jacky Winter was always a bird that I didn't see too often, but recently I
have seen them quite easily at Dryandra State Forest (SE of Perth).
Perhaps these are resident pairs?

I spent last weekend in Kununurra and it seemed that everywhere I got out
of the car there were one or two Jacky Winters.  I have never found them
this easily before.  Are they migratory in the north?

So like Grey-crowned Babbler I don't believe that they will ever become
endangered, except locally like a number of species in the south east.
However the world would be a sad place if you had travel long distances to
observe the antics of Grey-crowned Babblers, and the intriguing activity
of a Jacky Winter as it perches on a low twig or stump, flies down to
catch something and then flies up and shuffles it tail as it settles.

quotes)