birding-aus

RE: birding-aus South Africa RFI

To: "'Neville Pamment'" <>
Subject: RE: birding-aus South Africa RFI
From: COOK David <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:05:03 +1000
Neville (and others)

A couple of years ago my wife and I hired a car from Johannesburg airport
and drove to Krueger National Park (and adjacent areas) without any problems
at all. I believe the secret is not to go into Jo'burg itself, as this IS
dangerous. We were advised to keep our car doors locked at all times and to
be wary when stopped at traffic lights for people walking up behind your
car. We didn't see that happen.

Also, a tip when driving, always allow a faster car behind you (and there
WILL be faster cars as there is no policing of traffic offences at all - 150
kph is not uncommon even on small roads) to pass by pulling off the road
onto the verge. These verges are sealed and are often as wide as another
lane. The roads are excellent, and are generally dual-carriage. If you don't
you may well be forced off the road.

After someone passes you, they will flash their indicators, after which you
must flash your headlights, and often they flash their indicators again -
it's all very cute.

Rumour has it that in the area you are going, if you hit a cow or pig, etc,
DON'T STOP.

The only other thing we noticed was that a lot of people walk VERY close to
the edge of the road, if not on the road itself, and also, if people have
carvings, etc, to sell, they often stand in the middle of the road until you
stop.

If you're careful and aware of those around you at all times you shouldn't
have any problems.

David Cook

quotes)