birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Welcome Swallows

To: "sonnenburg" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Welcome Swallows
From: (Syd Curtis)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:48:04 +1000
Hello Roy,

        You ask about methods of keeping swallows out of places where they
are not wanted.  Once I would have said I have the perfect answer.  Now I'm
not sure.

My mother living on Tamborine Mtn south of Brisbane had a two-car garage
with open eaves ... and an annual Welcmome Swallows' nest above her car.
She complained of the mess made of the car and the floor, but being the
softest of soft touches where native birds are concerned, she simply put up
with it.

After Mother was gone, I draped a plastic snake along one of the beams.
Instant cure: no more swallows and when I sold the house some years later,
they still had not returned, although I had removed the snake to use here
when Spotted Doves roosted over a concrete path - with similar success.

My son in Perth reported that swallows were roosting on the sill outside
his study window and fouling it.  I sent him the snake.  Again, problem
solved.

However, when with great confidence, I gave a plastic snake to a friend in
Capertee Valley who had swallow trouble, the report was that they simply
ignored it.  Still two out of three indicates its worth a try - but not, of
course, where there are eggs or young in a nest.

Cheers

Syd

H Syd Curtis

quotes)