birding-aus

birding-aus multi-faceted face

Subject: birding-aus multi-faceted face
From: lorne <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:22:35 +1000
Hello birdlovers... Lorne here...

(a) Hang on... perhaps the Hooded Parrots were growing the dope!!!!

(b) Re. stinging trees... I saw a lot up at Mt. Warning and the Border
Ranges when I was up there about a month ago. There's a fenced off one
at Kingfisher Park, Julatten. Be aware. Just avoid them. If you're
always on the lookout for them (paranoid), you won't have troubles. They
love clearing edges. In DAINTREE - JEWEL OF THE TROPICAL NORTH, Lloyd
Nielsen has an interesting few paragraphs on them. Apparently a dead
plant can still sting you, circa 70 years after it expired!!!!!! I also
don't know if cunjevoi is that helpful re. stopping the sting.

(c) I've birded in the Northern Territory and never had any problems...
no drug dealers from Jabiru, Columbian hitmen, shi'ite extremists or
crazed buffalo gunmen... but that's because I always drive a leopard
tank and carry a bazooka with my Pizzey and Knight!!!!!

(d) Nearly every time I've birded in the middle of NSW, around Lake
Cargelligo and Griffith, I've heard gunshots at night. It is
disconcerting, alarming. Mobile phones are always good news. Apart from
that, act crazy, if you're confronted--- eg. "Oh, I'm a birdwatcher... I
love sewage treatment works and crawling around swamps... my Dad used to
think he was a chicken until we put him in the hospital... do you want
to hear immitations of every owl in Australia?... let me do a male
lyrebird courtship display for you... I want to be reincarnated as an
emu when I die... do you guys want to put down the guns and study the
differences between prion bills in my Simpson & Day???" You'll have them
off your case in no time!!!!!!

Love and peace,

LORNE.

quotes)