birding-aus

birding-aus White birds

Subject: birding-aus White birds
From: "Carol Probets" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 23:19:48 PDT

I know there has been a fair bit written on albinism/leucism in the past on
birding-aus, but Laurie Knight?s interesting message on albino Black Swans
reminded me of a leucistic Red Wattlebird which has been seen over the last
month or so at Shipley Plateau near Blackheath, NSW. This bird is all white
except for yellow on the belly and some pale grey in the tail. Its wattles
are not particularly noticeable so I assume it is an immature bird.

About fifteen years ago I watched a New Holland Honeyeater at Mount Victoria
which was gleaming white all over except for the yellow in the wings and
tail, and faint grey markings on the face corresponding to the normal black
face markings. Interestingly, I saw a similar bird a few years later at
Katoomba, 15km south.

Cheers,
Carol
Katoomba NSW