birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Hooded Parrots

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Hooded Parrots
From: "Muir Environmental" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:57:28 +0800
Re: Marijuana (dope) plants

There have been a number of responses to this issue, and in particular to
my comments re dope plants in national parks, etc.  Some of these, such as
that below, have suggested I am over-reacting to the situation.

I feel I must respond to this, although I prefer not to, and prefer not to
get involved in arguments.

I do not consider I was over-reacting, or outraged, as I was not referring
to the single plant that Max found.  Incidentally, Max has since said he
didn't investigate the area further, but there may have been other plants
present that he didn't see.  This is quite likely.

What I was talking about was that I have been told of numerous plantations
of dope being grown in isolated places in numerous national parks.  I am
told this was/is common.  My contact was working in these places,
accidently found the plantations, and, at several locations, was threatened
by the owners with a rifle.  The police were called in and took action in
these cases.

The purpose of my earlier email was purely good will - my intention was
simply to draw readers' awareness to the fact that large plantations of
this plant do exist in isolated places where we birdos go alone, and that
the owners often have a high level of vested interest in protecting their
investment.  I'm told its much more common than the public realises.

I find it offensive that some readers on birding-aus take a critical stance
on what was purely intended as a good will passing on of information that
had been passed on to me.

Jennifer Muir