birding-aus

birding-aus chasing Grey Honeyeater

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus chasing Grey Honeyeater
From: "Reg Oakley" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:44:30 +1000
Like Frank O'Connor, last August I planned to look for the Grey Honeyeater at Yalgoo and Yallan. Crossing the Nullabor we camped at Newman Rocks. Walking through the bush there I heard what I thought was the call of the Grey Honeyeater, but saw no bird. So I walked (say) 800m back to camp and played a tape of the call just to check it.

Almost immediately it was answered by a similar call from a tallish eucalypt about 50 m away. So my wife and I got our binoculars and fieldguide and went over to the tree. We looked hard at the bird, which we could clearly see, played the tape, compared the answering call and consulted our guide book. There seemed to be no discrepancies.

But something seemed wrong. It was the wrong habitat, it was too far south and too easy. Anyway the bird is not on my list and next August we will search for it again at Kunoth Well.

Reg Oakley
Melbourne