birding-aus

birding-aus new observation on Lyrebird behaviour

Subject: birding-aus new observation on Lyrebird behaviour
From: "Paul Jones"<>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:42:39 +1000
Hi everyone
The following is a summary of an observation that I made while watching a
Lyrebird
the other day.  To the best of my knowledge, the placing of feathers inside
a Lyrebird nest for the egg to be laid onto has never been recorded before.
 Any other feedback or similar observations would be appreciated via personal
email.

On the 13/6/99, I went to a place in the Olinda Unit of the Dandenong Ranges
National Park, to check to see if a Lyrebird egg had been laid in a nest yet.
 Near to the nest was a female Lyrebird.  On her chest, the feathers had become
very ruffled.  The bird was continually grooming this patch of feathers, but
this appeared to make them worse.  Then a couple of feathers fell out onto the
ground.  The female Lyrebird picked these feathers up with beak and took them
to the nest, where they where placed inside.  This was sighted on 3 occasions
over a 30 minute period.  Inside the nest, these down feathers make the bedding
on which the egg is laid on.

To the best of my knowledge and according to the Sherbrooke Lyrebird Survey
Group, the behaviour of putting down feathers inside the nest had not been
recorded
before.  However, I do not believe that it rules out that these feathers are
plucked inside the nest as well.

quotes)