birding-aus

birding-aus VBR call for records 1998-99 (Vic. only)

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus VBR call for records 1998-99 (Vic. only)
From: "Peter S Lansley" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:26:50 +1000
Hi netters,

Yes, WE WANT YOUR RECORDS for 1998 and 1999 and are now ready to receive
them. To refresh your memories, the Victorian Bird Report aims to summarize
significant records and status changes of birds in the state on an annual
basis. See also Vic. Babbler June 1999, p 51. We are looking for:

1  Arrival and departure dates of migratory species each year
2  Unusual breeding records, especially change in size of colonies, unusual
locality or time of year
3  Extensions and contractions of range and evidence of population
increases or declines in regions across Victoria
4  Occurrence of unusual plumages, hybrids and aviary escapers
5  Records monitoring threatened or near-threatened species populations
6  New bird species for Victoria or its regions, and occurrence of vagrant
species

Any bird records which depart from the information in Atlas of Victorian
Birds (Emison et al. 1987) and those fitting into the above categories, are
of interest to VBR and should be sent in.

Note: we don't expect you to duplicate effort. Records sent to birding-aus,
Peggy Mitchell's unusual and interesting sightings columns in The Bird
Observer, Twitcher's Corner in Wingspan or records published in any major
Australian bird journal are already available to us so don't bother sending
them in again. Some records from the New Atlas of Australian Birds and
Atlas of Victorian Wildlife may need to be sent in again to VBR if they
relate to reasons other than rarity. For example, it may be difficult for
the Melbourne based editorial team to work out from atlas records that you
saw an albino Flame Robin or that numbers of Red-necked Stint on your local
wetland were the highest in ten years of regular counts. So if you think
its interesting send it in and we'll put it on the database. All records
published will be acknowledged with the observer's initials. Some records
may need to be vetted as in the Atlas, this normally applies only to rare
or out-of-normal range species so don't be put off.

FAQ: How do I contribute? Merely email me  and ask for a
VBR kit; this includes a submission form which you can print out;
instruction sheet and list of review species for which further detail is
sought.

Alternatively, post your observations on birding-aus with details on
species, numbers, date, locality and reasons why considered interesting. We
will take it from there. Paper submission forms and instructions should be
available from your local bird group by 30 June 1999.

SO, THERE ARE NOW NO EXCUSES. Get those records in so we can put Victoria's
birds back on the map!

Cheerio
Peter S Lansley <>
tel. +61 3 9375 4564