birding-aus

birding-aus Oops correction Little Wattlebird (Anthochaera chrysoptera)

To: All <>
Subject: birding-aus Oops correction Little Wattlebird (Anthochaera chrysoptera)
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 02:32:33 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All,
     Such a wretched weekend weather wise and a public holiday to boot.
So I spent far too many hours indoors moaning at the rain and cold and
cursing at the speed of my candle powered puta. (Yep an ex pome who has
seen the light). So this afternoon after sending off a few emails
trying to see what I could do for my poor beloved feathered friends, I
decided to put on the galoshes wander round the Hastings Marina to get
laughed at by many a Chestnut Teal and Australasian Grebe let alone
Kookaburra. Who is that human that walks around in this weather to feed
us ? I bet many thought. Whilst others around the area thought why is
his nose blue ? and does that have to match his hands so well. Thought
came to me geeez this is cold today. So I headed towards the local
library. Once inside and feeling my blood circulaton returning to
normal, I dried off my long mane and cleaned and dried my rain drop
splattered glasses. There in front of me, outside a large window pane,
as I chatted with the head librarian, was what I wish so much to help
in any way I now can.
     My "Little Wattlebird" feeding on the small amount of the
remaining section of flowering bottlebrush and red gum. So I have
decided to start a campaign to do all I can to get back the numbers we
once had around these parts. Yep ! hope springs eternal.
       I have very little data on what really attracts them ? apart
from the trees I see them eat from (their nectar and pollen consumption
must be huge?). The trees they love to play in. Would they take to a
man made home ? what diet is their best diet ? it's not a public
holiday next monday so I'll head off up to town
(Melbourne) or Melbin as my love calls it giggle giggle pay my dues and
sign up to Birding Oz. A real golden opportunity goes by, as, had I
been carrying my camera what perfect shots could have been had from
inside the library of the "little wattlebird" inches away in the
shrubbery on the other side of the large glass window. Instead I
eagerly await the shots of my frostbiten Pelican's and fingers taken at
the jetty.

A bad bird watching day/weekend or should that read
poor weather for dux ? can't wait for Mr. Veerman's response to this ?
glad he always gets the gist of what I refer to though ? otherwise I
would have to totally give up on the fellow. Wouldn't a human tumble
drier be a great thing to create. Just think we could fluff and fold in
one go ?.

John A. Gamblin

Sincerely hope this makes Mr. Veerman's day ?