birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Urban nectar eaters

To: Rex Gilfillan <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Urban nectar eaters
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:24:17 +1000
At 13:16 11/06/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Simon Kennedy (working with the Swift parrot, NRE, Bendigo office,
>phone 03-9450-8656 <>) mentioned this
>address
>and suggested you may be able to help me.
>
>I am researching interaction between large and small honeyeaters, and
>any interaction between either of these and  lorikeets (particularly
>Rainbow, but also smaller lorikeets).
>
>Ray Brereton (working with the Swift parrot, Parks and Wildlife,
>Tasmania), suggests that the increased planting of flowering trees in
>parks and gardens has markedly increased the city populations of nectar
>eaters, both lorikeets and honeyeaters. He suggests that the larger and
>more aggressive honeyeaters are competing with smaller honeyeaters to
>the detriment of the smaller birds, and that the lorikeets have little
>effect on population (apart from local dominance at feeding sites). Do
>you know of any research done on this?
>
>I have results from a census in Perth- extract from a summary follows:
>
>sntings etc?
>
>Any info or leads, reports etc would be of help, particularly census
>reports in city parks similar to Perth
>
>Regards
>
>Rex Gilfillan

Rex

I'm currently running a Garden Bird Survey through the Queensland Ornithological
Society Inc, as a follow up to one I did twenty years ago. (Sunbird 25:1-17)
In the 1979/80 survey I had reports from 100 gardens and many of these had
lists for
over 50 weeks.
In the current survey I have records from nearly 70 gardens after only a
couple of
months so it looks as though we will have roughly comparable samples.

When the survey is complete, next year, I hope that we will be able to look
for changes
like this to the Qld suburban birds.

Yours

Peter
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science & An. Prod.  Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)

quotes)