birding-aus

birding-aus re.ornithological rascism

Subject: birding-aus re.ornithological rascism
From: Bette Mitchell <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:36:40 +1000
Hazel Wright is correct in that we should be concentrating on reducing
competition for native birds from introduced species and human
activities.
I have barely heard a whimper from anyone over the proposed
indiscriminate poisoning of Corellas,Galahs and Cockatoos in Victoria..
I hope you have all written your letters of protest to the Minister for
Conservation and Land Management(Marie Tehan)
I recently sent her a copy of the Boycott Australia campaign put out by
Bird Chat U.S

I have just recieved a copy of a South Australian newspaper report that
farmers in that state will no longer need permits to kill native pest
birds in commercially operated orchards and vineyards!!!
The Minister for Environment and Heritage,Mrs Kotz,said that the changes
would help farmers better manage common native pest birds.
The species to be targeted are the Rainbow Lorikeet, Adelaide Rosella,
Musk Lorikeet and the Yellow Rosella.
This of course will mean "open slather" for farmers to kill native
birds.

In the same newspaper it was reported that Cape Barren Geese are to be
culled on the Eyre Peninsula because of the havoc they are causing to
farmers and their land.
The South Australian Government is also considering allowing the geese
to be served up in restaurants!!
A trial cull is to be commenced in a few weeks when professional
shooters and farmers will kill the birds as part of a management
program.
Does anyone else, particularly South Australians, know anything about
this and is anyone doing anything about it?
How can we rationally debate issues such as the ethics of saving a few
introduced sparrows and mynahs    when so many of our native species are
in trouble from such actions, not to mention continued massive land
clearance.
                                      Bett Mitchell

quotes)