birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Whipbird's reflection

To: "Birding-aus" <>, "Jill Dening" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Whipbird's reflection
From: "Carol de Bruin" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:29:59 +0200
Hi there,

Wonderful opportunity to observe but there is a down side, of which you are
probably aware and working on.  Please excuse my advice if this is so.

 I suggest that you do something reasonably soon to try and break up the
reflection on the glass.  If not they will either hurt themselves in the
attacks or get highly stressed, to the point of illness and exhaustion, at
the intruder in their midsts which will not go away. Either of these events
are harmful to the birds. The reduced vigour on the second day could be due
to bruising.

Try rubbing the glass with soap, covering it from outside with paper,
opening it or providing shade so that there is no reflection. You will know
what the best solution is for your circumstances.

Maybe some others have some ideas - this is an ongoing problem because once
a bird gets to know about the reflection, they don't give up.

Cheers
Carol de Bruin

Johannesburg, South Africa.